DO I NEED A CMS (Content Management System)
Content Management Systems (CMS) have improved dramatically over the
past few years, to the point where it's now possible for
non-professionals to maintain and update their website themselves.
Open-Source systems are now available that are both
powerful and cheap. But they're not for everyone. Here are a few guidelines to help you
decide if an Open-Source CMS is for you.
Questions to consider
- Do you or a relevant staff member have time to look after your
website in addition to other duties? And is this the best use of your time, or would you be better off
concentrating on your core proficiencies
- Will the nominated person be here in 2 years time? What if
- Does your website require updates often? If you are likely
to update your website less than once per month then a CMS may
not be cost-efficient for you.
- It's free! (You only pay us to install and configure it for
- Large range of features built-in
- Ability to update the website yourself, whenever and wherever
- Cheaper to update yourself, especially if you have free time/resources available
- A wide range of cost-effective plug-ins (extra features) are available to expand
the functions of your site
- It is an "off-the-shelf" solution. Generally speaking, you
must work within the constraints of what's provided.
- Open-source (free) software has no official support. Instead
support is provided through a community model, where users and
volunteers support each other through forums and online
- It is more expensive to customise should you have
non-standard functional requirements either now or in the
- You will require basic image editing skills and software
- A CMS is not as simple to use as Microsoft Word. A nominated
staff member will need appropriate training / experience to make
best use of the software. Try the Joomla! CMS on our
Joomla! website to gauge whether this is something you're
- One of the key challenges for professional web designers is
ensuring websites look their best across all the different
browsers, operating systems, and devices. This requires a
combination of experience and testing that is more difficult to
The Alternative - using professionals to look after your website
- Just like anything, a dedicated professional can do a better job, and quicker
- You won't have to worry
about the technical details. Our
Website Maintenance service
guarantees updates within 2 working days (and almost always the
same day), our staff are always up with the play in a constantly
changing IT landscape, and we have the skills and software
required to do the best job.
- Continuity - we've been looking after some of our clients
for over 15 years. We're always here, reliable, quick, and
efficient, taking care of all your website related issues
through a single point of contact.
How can we help?
Talk directly to our experienced development team for obligation-free advice on your project. No call centre, no hold times - just skilled web professionals ready to help!
What our clients say
"Again, always on the ball and delivers as promised. A TRUE PROFESSIONAL!!! You are a God send!"
- J. Cancino / CartCollect